Saturday, March 6, 2010

mars est arrivée

February came and went like a needle slipping through my fingertips. It was there and I could feel it it’s pinch - the blistering cold of the central cities and the soothing sting of ginger tea...but at the same time, it felt lightweight, delicate, and barely there. February seems to have gotten cut short, in large part because there’s only twenty-eight days in the month, but mostly because just when it seemed like time was slowing down, the snow was gone, the sun was out, and voilà, spring was on its way.


When two to three days just disappear from your schedule, it makes you realize how much a month actually counts. I tend to get thrown back into the calendar when a new month rolls around - and there’s always something exciting to me about what’s to come. Retrospectively speaking, the middle of a month has got to be the least interesting. The beginning and the end are what make your heart race. Like a novel or a marathon run. It has to do with balance of extremes, I suppose. Yin and Yang - Moon and Sun - Birth and Death - that kind of stuff. What I find most fascinating about existence, though, is time. Time balances without a beginning or an end, it just steadily continues. It is constant, but it’s opposite does not even really exist. Therefore, it balances without extremes. And this is its phenomenon. All that can be said about it, really, is that it continues moving forward.


What stays are things like love, belief, greed.

What dissipates are things like cement, shoes, computers.


There is that saying, “the only constant is change,” that comes from a greek philosopher...but if you think about it, change comes from time. So I say, the only constant is time. Don’t lose it because it’s not going to stop. Or, as Ferris Beuller would say, (obviously much more wise than Heraclitus) “life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”


2 comments:

  1. ahhh the wise wise words of ferris bueller...
    what, no pictures of ma belle Hongrie?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ferris beuhler! My friends and I used to write save ferris on all the desks at school...

    ReplyDelete